Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cookie Monster Cupcake Redo


I have seen pictures of Cookie Monster cupcakes all over the web. I have no clue who is the creator, but I thought they would be a fun way to use my chocolate eyeballs.

I began by adding a very thin crumb coat so no bare spots would show through the fur layer. Then I used a small round tip to pipe a bunch of squiggles. After doing this to a few cupcakes, I realized it looked more like a tangle of blue spaghetti than fur. Why was I following the pictures I saw instead of creating my own design?


I switched to a star tip. It looked more like fur. I piped two big wavy lines (like a scrunched up S) to cover the whole cupcake and topped them with a couple of smaller wavy lines on top. It began to take shape when I added the chocolate candy eyeballs.

Cookie Monster's eyes go googly as he savors each morsel of cookie, so try turning the eyes different ways.


And the cookie mouth. (Although I will be improving on that method as well.)


Be sure to make the pupils a nice size when molding the eyes. Otherwise, Cookie Monster doesn't look very happy about eating that cookie.


This same method will work for other furry creatures as well. I usually work with flat cupcakes, but this design will look even better on cupcakes with a nice dome. Shift the orientation of the mouth and eyes to create a head on view.

No comments:

Post a Comment